Thursday, July 29, 2010

Comment Response #2!! WOO!


Skip this and go to: "The First Day of School" >>>>>


Okay, so as I mentioned in the last Comment Response thingy, I will be occasionally reserving a space for comment responses. Unfortunately, since I started the story, I haven't actually gotten any comments, which, you know, kind of puts a damper on comment responses:

THIS IS JUST A SIMULATION!

It's comment response time! Annd... um...  for this comment response, we're going to um... look! A CUTE PUPPY! *runs away*

/END

Yea... that's kind of how it would go without any comments to respond to.

But luckily for me, there has now been a new comment.

@soemoimeso:
Yea, it's going to eventually be a book. Like I said on facebook, it's only 10 pages long right now, but I eventually hope to get it much longer. That being said, I won't by any means make it longer just for the sake of being long. If I run out of ideas then, well... I guess that's it and I just finish the story. At that point, I'd probably just rewrite it in expectation that the revised version would give me new insight, allow me to write it better (since I would at that point have the whole story written out completely), and would probably be able to easily make it a good book-length.

I think it's a horrible shame that there is such a huge shortage of ninja literature. Plenty of anime and manga, very very few books. Like if there was ever an untapped genre, this is it for sure. The only one I've ever been able to find is called Blue Fingers which is a pretty cool story about a ninja who's destined weapon is a flute. The author did a lot of research and included a lot of factual information about ninjas (as well as some non-factual things (s)he just kind of added).

Also, as far as thinking about what I'm going to write, yes and no? I do sometimes plan ahead for the next part I'm going to write, and I'll add little notes in the MS-Word file I'm writing it in, but in general, I just kind of sit down, go "where did I leave off?" and just start writing how Taro would respond to that situation.

And then at the same time, I do have a lot of the book already planned. Before I even decided to write this story, I sat down and wrote out a 2 page long general idea of what I saw happening in this story. I covered many main events, including the climax, and I included only information that I might forget. So anything specific I wanted to put in there I didn't think would be obvious to me at the time I was writing it, I threw it in there, but a lot of it is very general because I either wasn't entirely sure how I wanted it to go down, or quite the opposite, that I knew so well where I was going with it that there was no need to explain it further. In fact, in this synopsis, I never even wrote out the ending. I have such a good idea of what is going to happen after the climax, that I didn't even bother trying to write it out.

I didn't actually plan on writing the story, however, as I've said. I just merely had an idea in my head and decided to write it down just in case I ever wanted to write again, but after writing it down, it was inevitable that I would end up writing it.

I think this story will most likely be my first completed book for several reasons:
  1. It's about ninjas, which are one of the coolest things ever (at least to me). And that is to say that real-life ninjas are probably 3x cooler than ninjas that use magic and stuff.
  2. The overarching theme of the book is already thought out, which gives me a direction to always aim towards. Sometimes, when writing stories, I lose myself in what the character is trying to do. That most definitely won't be the case for this reason and the next.
  3. Every chapter essentially ends with a cliff hanger. That is a tremendous help for me because it helps me to define the length of each writing session (so I don't feel pressured to finish a whole chapter all at once, for instance), and it gives me a starting point for the next writing session.
Well, that's it for Comment Response.

I'll probably update the story soon since soemoimeso was kind enough to regard my plea on facebook for people to read and comment my story. So keep posted and soon, the next chapter will be posted. =D

(AND LEAVE COMMENTS! I will respond to them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a Ninja?

There is a lot of misconception about what a ninja is.

A ninja is a weapon. A ninja is a warrior.

First appearing in writing as early as 4th century according to some history, though it is hard to place the beginning of the ninja, and most scholars agree that they emerged around the 7th-10th century. According to most Asian historians, the ninja first developed in opposition to the elite samurai during the Heian Dynasty (794-1185).

By the 15th century, the role of the ninja was primarily hired mercenary or espionage. By this time, there was already boundless myths about ninjas, calling them demons and giving them mystical powers which were widely believed to be true, but in all reality, ninjas were very trained in silence and stealth and could easily hide or slip away quickly and unnoticed in a way that would lead others to believe they were magical.

Our story presupposes a modern Japanese society where ninjas have managed to survive and continue traditional methods of teaching and hired by clients and used as weapons and tools of espionage and mercenary. Taro is one such ninja, growing up in a civilization of ninjas long-thought to be extinct. But when Taro begins his first ninja mission, his whole world gets turned upside down.