Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Story Methods and Writing



Read "Late Night Espionage" >>>>>>



Hey, guys!

I've been writing this story for almost a year now, and although I've had some pauses and snags with school and all of that, I've really enjoyed writing this story and still do. I feel like a lot of that is thanks to the techniques and writing methods I've picked up for this story, and so, for all of those aspiring authors out there, I felt like I should share them with you. Here's a quick break down:


Having Your Own Website:
The first thing that is really cool about it is having your own website. Using blogger, I can customize my website pretty much however I want with some really interesting layouts they have, and from there, I go through the code and edit it as I see fit. It can be a pain to edit some things, especially since blogger is a little more limited than other blog websites, but I haven't ever found too much difficulty in what I wanted to do, and when I didn't have the answers, I could usually just google search it.

What I really like about it though is that it really sets the mood of the story and gives the readers and easy way to read through various chapters and post comments. Plus, it has a very bigger network of bloggers, and it helps me to build an online community as well.

Sections Instead of Chapters:
Essentially the way that I write on this blog is in sections, much like a story you might read that's published weekly in a journal or periodical. Instead of focusing on having an entire chapter written all at once before publishing and worrying about length and focusing on complete ideas, I can just go with the flow and write smaller sections instead of entire chapters. This gives me the freedom to write as little or as much as I want when I feel like adding to it and gives me an omniscient perspective of how the chapters should be divided up.

When I've completed a lot of sections, I often take a quick look at the sections and decide how to group them into chapters, and then on the chapters page of my blog, I put them in a list using chapter numbers followed by each section in that chapter numbered off and linked by name.

Continuous Interest:
By writing my story in this way, it helps to keep things lively and interesting for me. In the past, when I've tried writing novels, I've always pulled up my word prompt and sat there writing 5-10 pages at a time. Sometimes, it was rather discouraging because I often didn't know what direction to take the story next, what to make the chapter about, and so on, and I didn't always want to write such a large chunk of the story all at once. The main ideas and direction of the story would eventually get lost on me, and by the time I was 20-30 pages in the story, I was already confused and fed up with the story.

Writing with this technique, I can end each section of with a sort of prompt or mini-cliff-hanger for the next chapter so that I can discern exactly how that character will act, what he will be feeling, and how he's going to handle the situation. It also helps to keep a bit of suspense in my story which will give little interesting moments at the end of each section to keep my readers interested in my story.

The "Power-Through" Method:
Lastly, I'm implementing what I call the "Power Through" method, which basically just means that I'm not going to go back and edit anything until I'm completely done, unless it absolutely has to be edited (like I accidentally change a character entirely or have some huge contradiction). In this way, I can keep things interesting by forcing myself to play off of wherever I was last at in the story and it helps the story to take interesting turns I didn't even really plan for. It also helps the characters to be more real to me and it almost feels like they have a life of their own and I'm just their enabler.

Also, in the past, I had huge problems with editing. I used to go back and edit the same chapter 6 or 7 times and it would often really hamper my progress. This way, I can wait until the entire story is complete and I can have a clear picture of the entire story before I decide to go back and make changes. I think this has a distinct advantage in the sense that it help keep the story organic and flowing instead of rigidly adhering to the outline of the story.

Conclusion:
So all-in-all, I can say I really love this method of writing. It has really helped make writing this story a fun and exciting experience, and I'm constantly excited to keep it going. I would highly encourage other authors to implement this strategy and give it a try, especially if you want to write a long story or novel and have been having difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a Ninja?

There is a lot of misconception about what a ninja is.

A ninja is a weapon. A ninja is a warrior.

First appearing in writing as early as 4th century according to some history, though it is hard to place the beginning of the ninja, and most scholars agree that they emerged around the 7th-10th century. According to most Asian historians, the ninja first developed in opposition to the elite samurai during the Heian Dynasty (794-1185).

By the 15th century, the role of the ninja was primarily hired mercenary or espionage. By this time, there was already boundless myths about ninjas, calling them demons and giving them mystical powers which were widely believed to be true, but in all reality, ninjas were very trained in silence and stealth and could easily hide or slip away quickly and unnoticed in a way that would lead others to believe they were magical.

Our story presupposes a modern Japanese society where ninjas have managed to survive and continue traditional methods of teaching and hired by clients and used as weapons and tools of espionage and mercenary. Taro is one such ninja, growing up in a civilization of ninjas long-thought to be extinct. But when Taro begins his first ninja mission, his whole world gets turned upside down.