Thursday, December 29, 2011

Decision on my next web-novel

I've realized that writing web-novels is something I want to keep doing. I could take my stories and try and get them published, and if I wanted, I could push myself every day to write such and such many words. But the truth is, I like this gig. I like that I can write at my convenience and have many anonymous fans follow my story. I like that my stories are available for free to the public without the scrutiny of a publisher to dictate this and that. And I just like writing for my own personal pleasure without the pressure of making money from it.

That being said, I think I've finally decided what I'm going to write my next story about. From the inspiration of short stories I've read in the game Elder Scrolls V: Syrim, and from the adventures from a tv-series Robin Hood (2006) that I've just recently been watching, I've decided....

To write a story about a Kunoichi. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a term used for female ninja. Women, of course, are very important for ninja clans because of their access and deception. A king, for instance, may be wary of any man who comes to his castle and claims to be his servant, especially in such times as they were, where men are known for being warriors and politicians, and women were known only for being child-bearers and caretakers.

The ninja, however, realized the potential that women had. Men would invite women much closer, and even in their chambers, where a kill might be executed in the dead of the night, and she might escape before anyone would know it had been done. Women were subjugated and thought of as weak, which is precisely why they were the perfect espionage agents and assassins.

Also, I certainly will place this next story in feudal Japan. What era, I am not entirely certain. I will have to review my Japanese history before that is decided.

Also, most importantly, I will write the story in 3rd person omniscient perspective. Whereas Taro's Ninja Spy High School is written in 3rd person, it is written solely from the perspective of Taro himself, and the reader has a limited scope of what is happening, more specifically, the reader's understanding of the events are seen only through Taro himself. I feel as though it might be rather fun to go with the standard omniscient perspective for my next story... and perhaps easier to write even.

At any rate, Taro's story must first be concluded, and perhaps revised, before attempting to write my next story, as previously stated, but I may write the new story while revising Taro's... it is still undecided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a Ninja?

There is a lot of misconception about what a ninja is.

A ninja is a weapon. A ninja is a warrior.

First appearing in writing as early as 4th century according to some history, though it is hard to place the beginning of the ninja, and most scholars agree that they emerged around the 7th-10th century. According to most Asian historians, the ninja first developed in opposition to the elite samurai during the Heian Dynasty (794-1185).

By the 15th century, the role of the ninja was primarily hired mercenary or espionage. By this time, there was already boundless myths about ninjas, calling them demons and giving them mystical powers which were widely believed to be true, but in all reality, ninjas were very trained in silence and stealth and could easily hide or slip away quickly and unnoticed in a way that would lead others to believe they were magical.

Our story presupposes a modern Japanese society where ninjas have managed to survive and continue traditional methods of teaching and hired by clients and used as weapons and tools of espionage and mercenary. Taro is one such ninja, growing up in a civilization of ninjas long-thought to be extinct. But when Taro begins his first ninja mission, his whole world gets turned upside down.